Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Some Reiki Information

There is so much information about Reiki on the Internet, in libraries, in bookstores, and in other media today, it can be very confusing and sometimes daunting, even for experienced practitioners. This post is being written from my personal point of view about REIKI, how it has slowly permeated every area of my Life since I was Attuned in the late 1990's, and how it has opened new avenues for healing in my personal wellness, as well as in my clients and patients lives.

Dr. Mikao Usui
Chujiro Hayashi
Hawaya Takata
I was Attuned with Reiki Levels I & II in the Usui Rhoyo Tradition. My Reiki Master teacher, Vicky Walsh, was Attuned by Reiki Master John Gray, who was one of the first 22 Reiki Practitioners Attuned by world-reknowned Reiki teacher,  Hawaya Takata, who brought Reiki to the United States in the 1930's after being healed from a serious and potentially fatal illness in Japan with Reiki, rather than with surgery. Mrs. Takata learned and was Attuned to Reiki by Chujiro Hayashi, who had been Attuned previously by none other than Dr. Mikao Usui. Therefore, my practice with Reiki is considered '3rd generation' for whatever that means. When I teach and Attune students in the practice of Reiki, I was taught to include the 'family tree' from which I was Attuned.
John Gray
To make my long story short, I was introduced to Reiki in the early 1990's in Portland, Maine, but did not become Attuned until January 1997. I adore Usui Reiki, and any form of Energy Work, for that matter. It is widely available to anyone, anywhere. Usui Reiki is a practice of self-healing, and the more a practitioner uses Reiki on him- or herself, the more attuned to this healing energy he or she becomes. I did not understand the importance of self-Reiki until much later in my post-Reiki years, and it has helped me to blossom immensely.

Usui Reiki is the original Reiki energy, rediscovered by Dr. Mikao Usui in the 1920's, but there have been many other forms of Reiki discovered over the last 50 or so years. This blog mostly refers to Usui Reiki, as that is the traditional Reiki practice I was taught and attuned in. My Reiki Master teacher is also a Karuna Reiki Master, but this blog will primarily focus on Usui/Tibetan Reiki.

The results of receiving a Reiki treatment are enhanced health and well-being, among other benefits. Human beings are energetic bodies, and receiving a Reiki treatment balances and soothes chaotic energy systems, as well as balancing the Chakra system if the experienced practitioner is in tune with his or her client. A person who treats himself and others feels a renewed sense of well-being and energy, and a lightness that can not be explained, nor can it be matched. Reiki can also be projected across time and space, as energy never ceases to exist, according to physics. Energy can neither be created, nor destroyed. When Reiki is projected across time and space, it is called Distant Reiki, or Distance healing.

Distance healing can be as effective as hands on healing, but can be performed from long distances. Reiki energy knows no boundaries and transcends time and space freely. Reiki goes where Reiki is needed, so the premise of laying hands in particular positions is moot, and is usually an intuitive practice. Although Reiki teachers, such as myself, will teach hand positions to students, a responsible Reiki teacher will also let his or her students know that Intuition plays a key role in hand placement.

There are five spiritual precepts for daily living that were handed down from Dr. Mikao Usui as part of the oral tradition of Reiki. These precepts are as follows:

Just for today, do not worry.
Just for today, do not anger.
Honor your parents, teachers, and elders.
Earn your living honestly.
Show gratitude to every living thing.
Reiki translated from Japanese Kanji to English
These precepts are simplistic and if everyone tries to live by them, the world will become a more peaceful place to live. I use Reiki in the course of my days at work, while working with patients, and sometimes with colleagues. I strive to treat myself to Reiki on a daily basis, as well, especially in recent months. I was always encouraged to treat myself daily (by my Reiki Master teacher) but at times I'm a slow learner, and in recent years and months, as I stated previously, I've become more aware of the profound effects of self-Reiki.

More about Reiki and its healing properties and energy in upcoming posts, my dear readers.

For now, I bid you all adieu. 
Namaste, my friends ...

Reiki RN

No comments:

Post a Comment